2012-06-08

Konstfack Spring Exhibition Update IX: the silicon babies








































For about a month, I'd been unhappy with the title of the silicon pieces: 'to feel the space of in-between'.

My intention was to communicate the tactility of the piece (very creative title to do that...), when a friend started calling them 'silicon babies'.



'silicon babies'



I liked the name, especially how it stretched at 'bies(biːz)', and decided to adopt it as their nicknames.




On the opening day, I spotted a young man listening to the silicon baby.  


 





































He was standing there for a very long time, just listening, so I followed him by pressing my ear against the baby's skin.



We stood there together, listening.



The sound gave a peculiar sensation of being under thick and heavy water, everything seemed to be moving in a slow-motion and the small bells inside the babies were gurgling.



It was bizarre, fantastical and a pleasant surprise for I've been so focused on developing the tactility of the piece that this 'listening' aspect went undiscovered until I met this young man.



A happy discovery.  One thing that motivates me to continue.



(P.S. The babies glow in the dark too ***)